The COVID-19 pandemic forced virtually all organizations to review their protocols for cleaning and sanitizing — and the Truman Medical Center (TMC) in Kansas City, Missouri has been no exception.
Truman Medical Center boasts two locations: a downtown Kansas City campus with 120 FTEs (full time employee) for cleaning and sanitizing and the Lakewood campus with 72 FTEs. The EVS team is responsible for cleaning, sanitizing and deodorizing both locations. While a number of post-pandemic facility maintenance changes were made at the Lakewood building, the most notable was the adoption of Tersano's Stabilized Aqueous Ozone (SAO®) for cleaning, sanitizing, and deodorizing. SAO is a simple, safe, sustainable way to clean the public spaces of any hospital, clinic or medical center without using toxic chemicals.
When used as directed, the Tersano / SAO system:
- Kills 99.99% of SARS-CoV-2, MHV-3 and many other bacteria and viruses.
- Provides on-site generation eliminating the need to continually purchase traditional chemical cleaning products.
- Increases productivity as an all-in-one solution.
- Is non-corrosive and safe for virtually any surface including steel and metals.
Since we started using SAO to clean the south unit at Lakewood, HAIs have dropped over 25%.
Corporate Officer for EVS
Truman Medical Center Lakewood
Two years ago, the EVS switched to a new, higher-grade floor coating in the Lakewood facility. Unfortunately, while the coating performed to expectations, the haze left behind from the chemical-based neutral cleaner overshadowed any benefit.
“We tried traditional chemical cleaners on our new floor coating and the chemical residue dulled the floors,” explains Samas. “With SAO, the shine is back, the odor is gone, and the floors are clean. Even better: they are sanitized. We will never go back to traditional chemical cleaners.”
At Truman, EVS uses SAO specifically to clean the floors — the largest, dirtiest, most contaminated public spaces within the medical center. Auto-scrubbers are filled with SAO daily and run throughout all shifts to ensure an optimally clean, sanitized, and deodorized facility.
- After use, SAO reverts to water and oxygen and can be disposed down the drain without negatively impacting waterways.
- Natural and eco-friendly on every level.
- Enables a more consistent cleaning and sanitizing of the medical center.
Our long-range plan is to have an SAO dispenser in every EVS closet across both locations at Truman Medical Center. We love it.